Saturday, September 1, 2012

Recipes Galore!

I keep finding things that are more important than blogging!  Really, I just push it to the back burner and there you go!  Three days have gone by!

I promised the recipe for Pantry Ready Black Bean Soup, so here it is:

Pantry-Ready Black-Bean Soup
Yields 4 servings (although I divided mine into 5)
Per Serving: 455 cal, 4% fat cal, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 24g protein, 86 gcarb, 21g fiber, 596mg sodium

1 tsp olive oil
1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 14-oz can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
1 c frozen corn kernels
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 c low-sodium vegetable brother (homemade is best)
4 16-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or one pound dried then cooked)

1. In large pot over medium heat, combine olive oil, bell pepper, and garlic.  Sauté for a few minutes until tender (don't let garlic brown).
2. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Purée 2 cups of the mixture in a blender; return to pot.  Taste and adjust seasoning with salt or more spices.  Heat through and serve.

Source: Delicious Living May, 2010

I finished off my planned week of meals yesterday.  It was so nice to know exactly what I was going to eat and already have some prepared!  This week, I'm doing a looser version of it.  I'm not planning my breakfasts since I have a plethora of breakfast foods.  I have a few leftovers in the fridge already and I've got some new recipes I'm going to try this week!

I came home last night and went to my friend Brooke's house to spend the night.  I love not being "too old" for a slumber party!  The reason was that I took her senior portraits today and I really wanted to try sunrise pictures, so we were out shooting at about 6:40.  They were gorgeous and Brooke is a total natural model!  Isn't she beautiful?!


I loved doing her photos because she is a country girl who's got some class!



I was able to borrow a friend's camera for taking these photos, so I went a little crazy with taking photos all over the place!  (Notice my "About Me" picture on the right is new!)


I made Outrageous Chocolate Chip Cookies today for mom.  They are out standby recipe for cookies.  They have been the favorite since 1993.  How do I know?  We rate and date our recipes whenever we make a new one.  We tried this one on June 27th, 1993 and gave it 4 out of 4 stars.

Here's the best chocolate chip peanut butter oatmeal cookie you'll taste.  I've never found one that even can compare!

Outrageous Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 c granulated sugar
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (one stick) butter
1/2 c peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c quick-cooking or regular oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 pkg (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

1. Heat over to 350.  Beat sugars, butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and egg in medium bowl with wooden spoon until creamy and well blended.  Mix in flour, oats, baking soda and salt.  Stir in chocolate chips.
2.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheep.
3.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.  Cook 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet.  Makes about 2 dozen.
Note:  We always make a triple recipe.  You can make a couple dozen, then throw the rest of the dough in the fridge or freezer to make fresh cookies another day.  It's quite handy!  Also, we use only 12 oz of chocolate chips for a triple recipe.  Otherwise it has way too much chocolate chips.  And this way we only use one bag of chocolate chips.



Supper was leftovers: Polish Venison bulk sausage with freshly blanched broccoli from the garden.  And one cookie for dessert!

I love being able to come home on the weekends.  And this is why:

1. Home is so comfortable.  Even though I live out of a suitcase when I'm here, it is all so familiar to me.  And I get to do my laundry for free!


And hang them on the line to dry with a fresh summer breeze scent!

2. I get to catch up with what's been happening at home.  I love talking with my parents about what I've done this week and what my plans are, how my classes are going and what I've been doing at work.

3. Smokey.  I have a cat in Willmar, but Cybil hates me.  Still.  Haha!


4.  I get to cook.  Last weekend I made Black Bean soup, this week I'm making hummus!


Here are my chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) cooking.  This is the main ingredient of hummus.

I've got to get back to making my garlic-y hummus!  I'll let you know how it turns out!

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment