Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Grave Epiphany

I hope your Labor Day weekend was enjoyable!  It was your last "unofficial" weekend of summer.  We had great weather!

My parents and I went to my grandma's Sunday afternoon and stayed 'til Monday.  It was so fun and relaxing!  I had no responsibilities and no time constraints.  My weekend went unphotographed except this one photo:

*note: Grandma used a regular loin and cut it into smaller pieces instead of a tenderloin.

Grandma made this for us for our lunch when we got there a little after one o'clock on Sunday.  It was litterally the best pork I've ever hand in my life!  And since it was a loin, it was lean and meaty!  I was able to bring some back with me and had it for leftovers Tuesday night.


There was no need to add ketchup or anything.  It was just as good reheated as when I had it on Sunday!  I seriously cannot tell you how amazing this pork it!  GO TRY IT!

Well Tuesday it was back to school and working.  But a lovely surprise awaited me when I came home.


I will admit, we were running very low on food, but I had what I needed for the week I had planned.  But I was very glad to go grocery shopping for Dean!  I hoped in the truck and was off to Cub for some healthy fuel.  But there is where I had my grave epiphany.

I went through the fresh fruit and veggies and got plenty of tasty fruit for us to snack on all week.  I got the basic needs.. bread, milk, crackers, granola bars, etc.  But as I was walking down the frozen food isle I passed another college student.  I quickly looked in her cart and got really sad.  She had about five frozen pizzas in it and four Hamburger Helpers.

Most college students gorge on this kind of over-processed and nutrition-lacking boxed foods.  It seriously sickens me to think that a year ago I would have been happy to eat that all the time.  I'm so thankful my eyes have been opened to health and fitness.

Again today, I realized how much I've changed this past year.  A couple of girls came to the commons area of the photography department with Arby's.  Just the smell of it repulsed me.  And I used to love their curly fries and sandwiches!  Granted, now and then I may have some fries or a fast food burger to satisfy a craving, but it's never worth it and never tastes as good as it did when I was fat.

As twenty-something college students, we think we're invincible.  We drive recklessly, we jump from daring heights, and we push the limits.  But no one ever thinks of our eating habits as "reckless," when in actuality, it is.  It's time this next generation takes some responsibility for what we put into our bodies so we don't get "old and fat."


On to the day!  I got up at 6:30 and was out the door and to the Y for a morning morning meeting with the elliptical machine.


Fat-free cottage cheese and a fresh peach was on the menu for breakfast.  (I also had a couple breakfast bites the I made last night!)

For lunch, I had some of that pork loin in a cold sandwich.  AMAZING!

I had to work after classes and actually got to do the regular cleaning.  It took me longer than I anticipated, but I suppose it's because I didn't quite know what I was doing to begin with.  But I know it'll be smooth sailing from here on out!

There are so many things I love about the Y.  I'm going to post about that tomorrow!

Supper was a few chips and Matt's mom's homemade salsa and a few more breakfast bites.  This is what happens when you don't plan solid meals.  I've got the rest of the week figured out though!

After supper I read Peanut Butter Runner's Blog and got motivated to go run.  So I returned to the Y for the third time today.  I did a run/walk for 35 minutes.  I got a solid burn and a solid sweat going.

After I got home I started soaking the black beans for my meal tomorrow... you'll find out what it is!!

Come back tomorrow to discover the fantastic details I love about the Y and my fabulous lunch I'm planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment