Thursday, September 6, 2012

"I'm Big and Don't Care"

This is a bonus, non-photo post on a more serious subject.  I've been thinking a lot about this recently when a classmate of mine made a comment about her weight and another girls weight.  Let me set up the scene for you:

Us photography majors had just finished our first Photog Meeting.  Another first year student made a comment to a small group of people (of which I was included) that she wanted to be friends with a specific second year student.  Why you may ask?  He comment was, "Because she's big like me and doesn't care."

Being a girl who's lived her entire life on the heavy side (actually I was medically obese), I can tell you that I always cared about my weight.  I just didn't care enough to do anything about it.  Honestly, I think this girl who made the comment and the second year students are both like me.  They care, but don't do anything about it.

As a lot of heavy people would know, what we lack in looks we have to make up for in personality.  Really, how many "big" people do you know that have awesome, fun-loving, happy-go-luck personalities?  In the materialistic and fashion driven world we live in today, if your big, you aren't beautiful.

This really irks me because it's not true.  But it plays into so many peoples' lives.  We just accept it instead of fight it.  Now I'm not saying that if you're unhealthy and overweight, you should fight for inner beauty and not do anything about your weight.  Am I making any sense?

I want us to be responsible with our bodies and care enough to make the change!

Anyway, I just had that realization and thought I'd share.  Please post comments and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment