Friday, September 7, 2012

Boot Camp + Meal Planning

Happy Friday!!  Although it doesn't feel like a Friday to me since I didn't have classes.  But I'm enjoying my extended weekends!

Breakfast this morning was after my morning adventure of Boot Camp!!  I decided basically right before I went to bed that I'd give it a shot.  So I was up at 5:20 and at the Y by 5:40 ready for the 5:45 class.  It was hard.  I really reminded me of P90X with a few differences.  In Boot Camp we did 25 of everything and I usually only got int about 13.  There was plenty of pushups and seven minutes of planking.  It was intense, I tell ya!  I definitely felt it today and it was so worth it!  Conrad was the instructor and he will be gone on Monday so we will be having Melissa.  I'm interested to see how she runs the class.  She normally does Wednesday Boot Camp.

So I'm looking forward to joining the Boot Campers!


Breakfast was Raspberry Greek yogurt with Nature Valley's granola bars.  This was so delicious and hit the spot!  My only complaint about this yogurt is that there is added sugar that doesn't need to be there.  Yes, it tastes better, but I've grown accustomed to the tinge of bitter that greek yogurt has.






Work was the same old same old of cleaning, but after I was done with that at 11 I got to go out and help build some shelves in the garage!  This was so much more fun than scrubbing toilets!  I went home for a quick lunch break where I finished up my portion of Mexican Quonia I was going to eat for lunch yesterday.  I love it because it reheats so well!



This is what our shelves looked like where it was all said and done.  There was still plenty of stuff outside to get back in here, but I was up to my hours limit and had to clock out.  It was definitely fun!  I got to use power tools, which is always a bonus!


I had breakfast for supper again.  All my breakfast food just look so much more appetizing than leftovers!  And I somewhat feel like a hypocrite because of what I'm going to talk about after this (meal planning) since I haven't done much of that this week!

I have been craving DQ ice cream all day long so I decided to bike to a cute little DQ a couple miles away.  I got there at 7:09, and they were closed.  I was so sad!  So I had to bike to a different DQ and then had to tell them how to make the blizzard I wanted!  But I guess it was worth it..


A mini Mud Pie blizzard with cocoa fudge instead of chocolate syrup (it gives it a darker chocolate flavor).  A lot of DQ's don't advertise this blizzard but I highly recommend it.  It is my go-to and all time favorite.  It has coffee syrup, Oreo's and chocolate syrup.  You can always substitute and change too!  Personalize it!

I felt okay about eating it because of Boot Camp and the fact that I was biking there (and had to bike an extra couple of miles to go to the second DQ)!

The rest of my evening has been spend visiting with Dean.  Living by myself (or so it seems that way since he works when I sleep and I'm at school when he sleeps) I realize how much I need people.  I will talk and talk and talk just to tell someone about what I've been doing.  It's like this when I go home on the weekends too.  So I love blogging so I can get some of it out, but it's still not as good as a face to face conversation.

Changing gears:  I was asked on my Facebook page by Mariah, "How do you do your meal planning? what do you use as guide lines?"

Last week when I planned out my meals, I just chose recipes from health magazines and cookbooks that I wanted to try.  I added sides of whatever I thought would go well with it.  But here are some guidelines you might want to try to follow if you're looking for a healthy change in your diet:


  • Your base of your meal should be vegetables - not carbs like pasta or bread.
  • Try to keep the calories of the overall meal 500 or less.  I use this since I have snacks during the day and want to have a little leeway with my calorie intake.  You can check calories of whole foods (if not labeled) at Calorie Count.
  • [Obviously] Avoid processed food that comes ready made (i.e. frozen meals or white breads).  When shopping buy "whole foods" such as whole wheat bread.  The best way I've heard this is to shop on the outside isles of your grocery store.  That is where all your fresh food is since it needs to get in the store quickly.  So if I went to Coborn's I could get fresh fruit and veggies, dairy products, fresh meat and bread.  Obviously you'll need some things from the middle but try to make the majority on that outside circle where you buy most your supplies.
  • Avoid high fructose corn syrup
  • Finds some good healthy recipes and make a plan of the main dishes for the week, then add your vegetable and go shopping for you week's supply.  Be sure to schedule in leftover night!
  • Eat five to nine servings (1/2 cup) of fruits and/or vegetables each day.  I know this is hard, but start with five: three vegetables and two fruits and go from there!


I hope this helps!  And as I said before, I feel like somewhat of a hypocrite since I haven't had the best most balanced diet this week.  I'll work on that for next week!  Hope you all have a lovely weekend!  What do you have planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment