Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day One (and two)

Last August/ September, when my weight loss journey began, Katy told me we would run a 5k in the spring.  Looking back on this spring, I'm glad we didn't.  It was a busy time (especially the weekends when a 5k would be run).

But I've decided it's time.  It's time to run a 5k.

I hate running.  With a passion!  I am a terrible runner.  In high school I was just about the last person to finish running anything.

Katy and I did some running on nice nights, but I never enjoyed it.

Biking this past week has pretty much killed any desire I had to run since I can go much faster and farther on a bike.  But I finally got up the courage to start running.

I found a 5k race for a local Christian school that is two months away.  So I'm training for a 5k.  I know, it sounds so wimpy, but this is going to be a big accomplishment for me.

My ultimate goal is to run the whole thing.  No walking.  Period.  Right now I can do a little more than a mile.  I've got two months to get up the stamina and strength to do this.  And I know I can.

Running has, to me, always been that really athletic thing to do.  It always seemed out of my grasp and so I felt so good telling people I was going out for a run.  I've always wanted to be the person to say, "Yeah, I ran five miles this morning."  It's probably my pride craving that, but my will has never been strong enough to actually go through with it.  But now, I am!

I Googled "training for a 5k" and picked out the first one.  Here's my schedule:

5K Training Schedule for Beginners


WeekMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
1Rest1 mi runCT or Rest1 mi runRest1.5 mi run20-30 min run or CT
2Rest1.5 mi runCT or Rest1.5 mi runRest1.75 mi run20-30 min run or CT
3Rest2 mi runCT or Rest1.5 mi runRest2 mi run20-30 min run or CT
4Rest2.25 mi runCT or Rest1.5 mi runRest2.25 mi run25-35 min run or CT
5Rest2.5 mi runCT or Rest2 mi runRest2.5 mi run25-35 min run or CT
6Rest2.75 mi runCT2 mi runRest2.75 mi run35-40 min run or CT
7Rest3 mi runCT2 mi runRest3 mi run35-40 min run or CT
8Rest3 mi runCT or Rest2 mi runRestRest5K Race!

So I guess technically, Monday was day one, but since I actually started training on Tuesday, I'm counting that as my day one.



As you can see here, I am very excited to get this over with!

I walked for probably two miles before my phone finally downloaded Map My Run and was able to sign in.  I then ran one mile.  My time was 11:27.  I ran to three songs.  (Don't laugh at my playlist, I need to get some new songs.)  I ran to Hoedown Throwdown by Miley Cyrus, Some Nights by Fun. and If I Die Young by The Band Perry.  Comment below with some good blood pumping tunes I can add to my running list.


When I began my music, I realized I had forgotten my headphones at home.  I guess it wasn't a bad thing.  The white ones only have one working bud and the black ones have to have the cord be held in a certain position for them to work.  Anyone have suggestions on good running head phones?


After my run I had Shakeology with a banana mixed into it.  It still wasn't the greatest, but I drank it all.

The rest of my day was uneventful.  (And I didn't take pictures of anything I ate, so I have nothing to share!  Sorry!)

Today I was really exhausted and stayed in bed for as long as possible.  I got up to make myself a PB&J sandwich.  I returned with a message from Katy asking if I had time to Skype!  I was so excited! I haven't seen this girl in two months!  It was so good catching up and it was a blessing for me to talk through some life issues with her.  She is wise and always gives me great advice!


At 2:30 I went to babysit Erick.  It was so fun!  He liked wearing my sandals, just like my niece Mak does!  I was surprised that he was really good at walking in them!


After about an hour or so he conked out on the couch.  He slept until his daddy got home from work at 5:30.  So it was probably the easiest babysit I've done!  But I'm looking forward to babysitting 2:30-11 tomorrow afternoon and evening!  This little boy is full of energy and has the happiest little smile there ever was!

I was going to go to church tonight and check out a church, but when I got there no one was there.  So I thought I could come home and go biking.  But it was majorly down-poaring.  It just cleared up so I'm going to get out there!  Hope you all have a lovely Wednesday evening!  Be sure to comment your favorite work out songs and headphone ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment