Thursday, August 16, 2012

Trying out Spaghetti with Sautéed Chicken and Grape Tomatoes

I woke up bright and early this morning!  Like eight.  Haha!


My breakfast was two eggs over medium, a piece of 12 grain toast and a kiwi.  It probably wasn't the smartest idea, but I went running after this filling breakfast.  Well, not right after, but about 20 minutes after.

I walked the first mile at about 15 minutes.  Then ran a mile.  My time was 11:45.  I blame my sluggishness on being sore.  But hey, it was only 20 seconds longer.  And when it's sore, something is happening!

Does anyone have a better phone app for tracking your running?  Map My Run doesn't seem to save my stuff.  I've supposedly saved three runs and they aren't in my workouts.  It's not imperative that I be able to find them, but I'd like to know my route.  Comment below with suggestions.


After relaxing a bit, I decided to make some lunch from SkinnyTaste.com.  Naomi from Get Fit with Naomi suggested it on Facebook yesterday.  I picked out something I had the most ingredients for.

When I got out to the truck I saw that all the rain water collected in the back of my truck from last night's rain fall.  Since I was parked downhill it didn't drain out the back.  I thought it was quite humorous.

I ran to the store and got the rest of the ingredients I needed.  I used my reusable shopping bags I made!  I used the self checkout at Cub and had to select that I was using my own bag.  How does that machine know if I'm using a plastic bag or my own bag?!

After I returned home, I began on the beautiful creation.  And after about 45 minutes or an hour I came up with this!




If you want a printer friendly version of the recipe, click here and click on the Printer Friendly button.  Or just copy this recipe down!

Spaghetti with Sautéed Chicken and Grape Tomatoes 

Ingredients: 
  • 2 skinless chicken breast halves, diced in 1 inch cubes
  • cooking spray
  • 1/2 tsp each of dried oregano and dries basil
  • kosher salt and fresh pepper
  • 8 oz spaghetti (high fiber or low carb)
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • 6 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
  • 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Directions: 
    Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.

    Season chicken generously with salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, spray with oil and add chicken. Cook about 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.

    Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Reserve about 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.

    While pasta cooks, add olive oil to skillet on high heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown (do not burn). Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium-low. Sauté about 4-5 minutes. When pasta is drained, add pasta to tomatoes and toss well. If pasta seems too dry, add some of the reserved pasta water. Addfresh basil and chicken and toss well. Serve and top with good grated cheese.

    I used cherry tomatoes since I couldn't find grape tomatoes in the store.

    Despite my dislike of tomatoes, they were pretty good in this!  I think after I sautéed them and they were a little more mushy like a spaghetti sauce, it was tolerable.  Actually it was really good!  Try it and let me know what you think!

    At 2:30 I went over to babysit Erick.  He's still as cute as ever!


    We had spaghetti for supper and of course he got all messy!  I just love this picture because he looks so surprised and you can see how big his dark brown eyes are and how long his eyelashes are!  He's going to be one handsome dude when he grows up!

    Well it's almost bath time so I better go!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment